Show theater masks
Art, Culture & Faith
Lakes

Omegna

Lago d'Orta

Monuments and places to visit An ancient village, the most important one on lake Orta, North of the basin, between the lake and the mountains, Omegna is the historical forge of household items like the Moka express by Bialetti, the pressure cooker by Lagostina and all the Alessi products that have been part of generations of Italian families and more. It will be very pleasant for visitors to have a walk close to the quiet and elegant mirror of water, visiting the Old town and the “Parco della Fantasia” devoted to the local writer Gianni Rodari, who was born here in Omegna. Sport lovers will enjoy the several mountain paths, woods, peaks and wonderfull views on literary landscapes.

ST. AMBROGIO’S CHURCH
It is a Romanesque church of the 10th century with a nave, two aisles, side chapels and an ossuary (turned into the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes). Part of the southern side, its dome lantern, its bell tower and its façade are what remain of the mediaeval building. The interior of the church holds an altarpiece painted by Fermo Stella of Caravaggio in 1547 and the tomb of St. Vitus Martyr, the patron saint of Omegna.

ST. GAUDENZIO’S CHURCH - Crusinallo
Lying in Crusinallo, it is a Romanesque church with two apses, dating to the 12th century. The baptistery was added in the 15th century. Its irregularly gabled façade is marked by hanging ashlar arches and a lunette topped by a bright cross over the portal.

ST. MAIOLO’S CHURCH - Agrano
Lying in Agrano, the building dates back to the 12-13th century and its Altar of Rosary was created by the Lombardic artists known as the Flemish. It hosts the “Dead of Agrano”, a perfectly conserved mummy of a woman who lived in the 17th century, which has been for a long time an object of popular devotion, as witnessed by the many “ex voto” (votive offerings) placed in the chapel.

ST. MARIA ASSUNTA’S CHURCH- Cireggio
Lying in Cireggio, it is a Baroque building of the 16th century. It holds in the Virgin Mary’s Chapel an altar masterpiece painted in 1621 by Cristoforo Martinolio.

PREHISTORIC ENGRAVINGS - Cireggio
In the area of Monte Zuoli, in a magnificent location overlooking the lake, was found a big boulder with prehistoric engravings (“coppelle”). In the same area were found two “slide-boulders”, large inclined and smoothed rocks used as slides in an ancient fertility ritual. 

OLD BRIDGE
The Sforzas had this bridge over Strona Creek built at the turn of the 15th century. It consists of a pointed and a segmented arch, whose central pier is laid on a rock in the middle of the creek.

THE “ROMAN” GATE – THE ACCESS TO THE VALLEY
Actually built in mediaeval time, it’s the only remains of the five old gates (Maggiore, Salera, Segnara, Castello, Valle) which in the 15th century granted access to the ancient town, at the time surrounded by walls.

OMEGNA FORUM
It is a multi-purpose cultural centre built in an old steel industry plant. It holds the Permanent Collection of households dedicated to the industries of the area (among which Bialetti, Lagostina, Girmi, Alessi…). Information: 0323 866141.

THE PARK OF IMAGINATION
It is a cultural center dedicated to children, built in order to promote the work and philosophy of the writer Gianni Rodari, born in Omegna in 1920. The “Park” is formed by three different parts: Ludoteca, teaching Museum, Gardens (at Monte Zuoli, outside town).

Telefono
+39 0323 868411
Live
Rainshowers day
Rain showers
26,7°
Piazza XXIV Aprile, 18
28887 - Omegna (VB)

45.875636350086, 8.40898175

45.875636350086, 8.40898175