Arona
print this page

Rocca Borromea of Arona

From the Del Popolo Square in Arona, you can reach the Rocca (fortress) Borromeo along a 1 km long paved road. It is also possible to reach it by the shorter walking path departing from Cantoni Square.

The park of the Rocca Borromeo is the ideal place to have a relaxing walk, nearby the historical centre of the town.
From the large natural terrace in front of the fortress ruins, one can enjoy a marvellous view of Lake Maggiore: on the right you can see the whole town of Arona, where the steeple of the Chiesa dei Santi Martiri (Church of the Holy Martyrs) stands out, over to the left are the green High Vergante Hills which lead to the Holy Mount and to the statue dedicated to the Saint, whereas on the opposite Lombard shore, stands the Rocca of Angera (Varese).

The Rocca fortress was built for defensive purposes on the Piedmontese side of the lake, opposite Angera.
The ancient Borromeo Castle, founded shortly before the year 1000 under the Lombards' control, saw St. Charles Borromeo's birth in 1538. St. Charles was born in fact in one of the corner rooms of the fortress, known as the “Camera dei Tre Laghi” (three lakes room) due to the views over the lake. It was destroyed in 1800 by Napoleon’s army.

Opening 2013: from March 15 it will be open everyday till sunset.
In particular:
- from March 15 to April 30 from Tuesdays to Sundays, 10.00-19.00 (on Fridays and Saturdays 10.00-21.00);
- from May 1 to October 15 from Tuesdays to Sundays, 10.00-20.00 (on Fridays and Saturdays 10.00-22.00).

Restaurant bar and recreation ground.

Click here to download the new guide "La Rocca Borromea & Arona" realized by the Province Novara in partnership with the Municipality of Arona and the Distretto Turistico dei Laghi Monti e Valli.
Click here to look at the new video by the Province Novara in partnership with the Municipality of Arona and the Distretto Turistico dei Laghi.

Specifica
Fortificazione
Comuni
ARONA