print this page

Oratory of the Madonna of the Seven Sorrows

The oratory dedicated to the Madonna of the Seven Sorrows and Seven Merriments is located outside the town near a streamlet called Rio della Madonna allong the road leading to Ghevio. Of the original XV century structure there remains on the rear wall just a fragment of the fresco, dated 1511, depicting the Virgin on the throne with the Baby Jesus holding a little bird sitting on her lap.Originally it wa a small chapel with two stone benches at the entrance to allow the pilgrims to sit and pray. Following the restoration and enlargement works carried out in 1656 and 1904, the chapel presents a XVII century baroque style. On the vault can be admired a beautiful 1657 fresco depicting a choir of angels with scroll ornaments representing themes referring to sorrows and merriments with the Virgin Mary at the center.